How To Obtain A European Blue Card 

 April 24, 2022

One of the things that you needed to acquire to be able to step into Europe legally (and headache-free) is the European Blue Card.

The Blue card is Europe’s version of the US Green Card, which means it is your work and residence permit. And if you have any plans of settling down in Europe for good, this is your first step to get an EU citizenship and permanent residency.

Requirements for EU Blue Card Application

Obtain A European Blue Card

Obtain A European Blue Card

The requirements vary from applicant to applicant and state to state, but there are still common requirements you need to present for your application. And they are the following:

  • Filled out application form by you or your employer if you’re employed.
  • An accepted university diploma (5 years of professional work experience required for those with no university degree)
  • At least one year work contract
  • Certificate or license of profession
  • Proof of salary exceeding by 1.5 times the average salary (1.2 times for in-demand/professions in shortage)
  • Written declaration from employer
  • Valid travel documents
  • Be proven to be not a threat to the health, safety, and public policy to the hosting member state
  • 2 pieces of passport size photos (most recent or not older than 6 months)
  • Proof of payment for application fee.
READ MORE:  20 Must-Have Experiences You Should Not Miss When You Are In Bangkok

Applicants are required to file their application on their home country’s Embassy or Consultancy. This is true to most EU member states, but there are a few who allows it to be done online.

If you’re already employed, your employer can do it for you.

The most time-consuming part of your application is not waiting for the results; it is the translation of your documents (since most EU countries are not using English as an official language) and getting recognition of qualification.

Among the things that most employers fail to do is to create a work contract in dual language. Professionals at Bradford Jacobs, who do translations of work contract, think that non-translated contracts are often the source of confusion between employers and their non-EU employees.

READ MORE:  Enjoy Effortless Gift Shopping Experience Through E-Commerce Sites

If you are applying for an EU Blue Card, it is important to know and understand what’s included in your work contract to ensure a smooth application and interview process in your home country’s Embassy.

Recognition of Qualification

Recognition of qualification is an evaluation process that compares the equivalency of the professional and vocational qualifications you obtained from your home country compared to the ones obtained in the hosting EU state.

If there are differences in the content and duration of your qualifications, they will then identify how you can compensate for such qualifications. On the other hand, students who have gotten their qualifications in any EU state don’t need to do this.

READ MORE:  Buy Contact Lenses Online To Save Your Money

In order for you to meet the standards, you have to undergo examinations, trainings, work experience, etc. To apply for recognition of qualification, you need to send a set of documents. This includes, but not limited to:

  • ID Card or Passport
  • Qualification certificate (acquired from training) or diploma
  • Proof of related work experience
  • Skills or trainings (or anything similar)

Your certificates will be released upon completion of training. There could be additional costs for translation fees, notarization, etc.


Who Can Apply for an EU Blue Card?

Obtain A European Blue Card

Obtain A European Blue Card

Here’s a bulleted list of people who have the chance to get the EU Blue Card (and live their European dream).

READ MORE:  What Halloween Props Are Best To Decorate In Your House

1. Highly- skilled or qualified workers

If you already have an employer, your employer ideally is the one applying on your behalf. Nonetheless, you can still do it but your employer has to create a written declaration that states the reasons of your employment.

It should also have a declaration that you meet all their conditions and requirements and the list of benefits they get when they hire you.

If you otherwise don’t have a job yet, you must strive to get an employer who can sponsor your application.

In the unfortunate event that you haven’t found an employer in your home country, you can apply for a Job-seeker /Employment visa. You need to apply for this in your home country’s Embassy or Consultancy.

READ MORE:  Participate In Online Jewelry Auctions – What You Need To Know About It?

You must provide two things; (1) a University degree, and (2) enough money to sustain yourself while looking for a job in Europe. Your Job-seeker visa gives you a period of 6 months to look for a job.

If you find a job, you will be given a period of up to 90 days while processing your EU Blue Card application.

2. Students

Students who want to pursue higher education in an EU member state can apply for permanent residency or a Blue Card. The requirements may vary for each state, but the basic requirements remain the same.

You can look for a job while studying; however, it must not be more than 20 hours per week.

READ MORE:  Top 10 Tourist Destinations In Shanghai

There’s a long list of who can apply for the EU Blue Card. Among them are researchers, vocational trainees, seasonal workers, and intra-corporate job transfers. All of them also have their own specific set of standards and documents to pass.

Applying for an EU Blue Card is a long and tedious process, and it may take even 6-8 months before you get your results. Nonetheless, it is always worth the try.


{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

related posts:

How To: Fixing and Flipping Homes

related posts: